At 08:57 PM 5/23/02, Steven A. Ridder wrote:
>What are the the philosophical reasons that would make it difficult?

Phone networks haven't been very dynamic before and telephony people don't
adopt changes very quickly. And you might be putting PBX administrator
types out of work...

>  I must
>be that youngester that dosen't understand ; )

Cool. That's what we need.

>Honestly, I can't imagine it
>being that hard.
>It would be a lot like advertising static routes.  Once
>you config the local dial-peer, you advertise it, and the other routers
>receive it, and enter it into their dial-peer routing table, along with the
>source address it came from.  At that point, I guess overlapping dial peers
>would become the biggest problem.

Sounds like normal routing! There are probably lots of issues we can't
think of off the top, but they certainly aren't unsolvable. And if we're
thinking this way, I'm sure others are too.

>Plus, with VoIP, Call Manager, and other new technologies the PBX is going
>the way of the dinosaur anyways.

Well, Call Manager is an awful lot like a PBX though. It's just software.
At one point I was going to teach a class on Call Manager. It was so boring
(and the students were essentially glorified secretaries) that I couldn't
stay awake. It may have gotten better since then (a couple years ago) though.

Priscilla

>Seen Nortel's stock laterly!  GO Cisco!
>

>--
>
>RFC 1149 Compliant.
>Get in my head:
>http://sar.dynu.com
>

>""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > At 02:19 PM 5/23/02, Steven A. Ridder wrote:
> > >Does anyone at Cisco know if a dynamic routing-like protocol will be
>coming
> > >out for h.323 zones or dial-peers?  It's seems to be a pain to
statically
> > >enter in dial-peers for all routers and h.323 zones.
> >
> > Interesting question! It sort of relates to that CCIE lab rat
conversation
> > we had that included a line something like "Do the PBX guys know VoIP?"
> > This is the other way around.
> >
> > With dial peers, you're doing the sort of nitty-gritty administrative
work
> > that PBX administrators have done for years. Whether some protocols will
>be
> > designed to make it easier and more dynamic or not, I don't know. It's a
> > good idea, but it might involve some philosophical paradigm shifts. Now
>I'm
> > sounding like an old-timer. ;-) Seriously it might take a "youngster" who
> > wouldn't even consider that the task is extremely difficult for both
> > technical and philosophical reasons.
> >
> > That's my 0.00000010 cents.
> >
> > Priscilla
> >

> > >--