At 10:29 PM -0400 5/27/02, nrf wrote:
>Nothing much better than the RFC's.  Cisco has some textbooks, but in my
>opinion they really aren't that good.   The MPLS/VPN book, for example, is
>OK if you really really want to do VPN's, but even then it still isn't that
>informative.   They also have a frustratingly Cisco-centric approach to MPLS
>(yeah yeah, I know what you're going to say, what do you expect if it's from
>Ciscopress, but still...).
>

>From what I've seen, MPLS gets a lot clearer when you can actually see it in
>action.  If you guys are implementing an MPLS network somewhere (and I know
>quite a few ISP's are doing just that), then that would be the best place to
>learn it.

Just as it takes a certain change of mindset to understand what
problem BGP is solving, it takes a change of mindset to understand
MPLS and the next generation, GMPLS.  Many people have problems with
the ideas that MPLS does not do away with the needs for routing
protocols, and indeed adds new protocols.  Also, there tends to be an
assumption that MPLS is faster than conventional IP routing, which no
longer is the case.

There are real values to MPLS, which are more carrier than enterprise
oriented. These include traffic engineering/QoS, and extremely
flexible failure override techniques that can make link recovery
times comparable to SONET. You won't find any Cisco (or other)
configuration examples in my new book, but you will see an extensive
discussion of functionality--why would you want to use MPLS, and how
it changes design approaches (e.g., perhaps no IGP in a large network
core).

It's a sufficiently rapidly developing field that books will have
trouble keeping up with it.  The RFCs _and_ Internet-Drafts (see
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mpls-charter.html ) are still the
best references. Don't worry too much about CR-LDP, but pay attention
to the traffic engineering and link restoral documents.

If you like PowerPoint tutorials, browse around www.nanog.org, and
you'll find several good presentations at the last few meetings.