What version of Solaris are your running? Do uname -a to find out.
bash-2.05# uname -a
SunOS ACSNY 5.7 Generic_106541-18 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5

This shows I'm running 5.7 or Solaris 7. Older versions of Solaris only
support classful routing and there is no way of changing it beyond upgrading
that I know of. Sun calls it variable length sunbet masks or VLSM. You need
at least 2.6 to support VLSM.