a mail relay is simply any mail server.

Your pc is a mail relay when you send smtp traffic to your upstream mail
server.  That mail server then relays that traffic by doing an mx lookup on
the domain name.  That server could be an antivirus/content scanner which
could then relay the email to your internal mail server.

Just tossing the baton....

-Patrick

>>> "Steven A. Ridder"  05/28/02 12:52PM >>>
I think mail relays are to use any mail server to direct your mail on it's
final destination.  Just like you can use any DNS server on the internet to
answer a query, you could send your smtp message to a open relay server to
send your mail, especially if you didn't have a server on your network.

""richard dumoulin""  wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what is a mail relay for ??
>
> I know it is not a Cisco issue, but for me it is related to the fact that
> am only studying cisco stuff and therefore do not know anything about
those
> kind of Microsoft things.
>
> Regards.
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and
/or proprietary information in the possession of WellStar Health System,
Inc. ("WellStar") and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom
addressed.  This email may contain information that is held to be
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any unauthorized access, dissemination, distribution or
copying of any information from this email is strictly prohibited, and may
subject you to criminal and/or civil liability. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and then delete this
email and its attachments from your computer. Thank you.