At 12:44 PM -0400 6/3/02, ashish nigam wrote:
>Hi,
>I have been searching about different ways routing can be implemented, in
>terms of design and architecture.
>zebra code is good enough to look at but it is without any documentation at
>the code and design level.
>
>So if anyone knows where I can find one, please let me know.
>
>Thanks,
>Ashish

Well, depends what you are looking for--current protocols or new
proposals.  There are two draft requirements documents in the IRTF
for next-generation interdomain routing.

At a book level, there's John Moy's second OSPF book that comes with
a documented application. Alex Zinin's "Cisco IP Routing" is probably
the best you'll find on IOS implementation.  Volume III of Knuth's
"Art of Computer Programming" gives useful background on search
algorithms.

There's quite a bit out there in published papers.  A good start
would be to go to www.acm.org, and navigate down to the SIGCOMM
proceedings. Also, look through the RFCs for "Implementation
Experience" documents.  Also, look through www.nanog.org and find
work on subsecond convergence, which, IIRC, was first presented at
the last Washington meeting.

Be aware that you'll need some reasonable understanding of abstract
data structures, graph theory, control systems theory, etc., to
understand the basis of current work.

You certainly can go through the archives of the IETF working groups
for each routing protocol and get a good idea how the design
consensus evolved. It sometimes feels like the Inter-Domain Routing
(IDR) group, which does BGP, is an exercise in herding cats. Sue
Hares and Yakov Rekhter, the co-chairs, do a marvelous job of keeping
things in a more-or-less consistent direction. OSPF and ISIS are much
less controversial!