At 3:36 PM -0400 6/7/02, Leigh Anne Chisholm wrote:
>I'm giving a BGP presentation next week and I just want to update myself on
>some items...
>
>Last I recall, the minimum amount of memory required to run BGP is 128 MB
>however 256 MB is recommended.  Is this information still correct?

In the right ballpark for service providers.  One factor will be the
number of peerings, which increases memory requirements.

>Can a 2600 run BGP?  Not that you'd want to see that, but is anyone doing
>it?  What's the minimum Cisco platform recommended for running an actual BGP
>implementation?
>
>Thanks in advance...

Again, don't confuse running the Border Gateway Protocol with taking
full routes. Even with "actual" implementations, you may not need
full routes. As far as a 2600, it's fine for partial routes.  I'm in
process of building an "Internet simulator" lab with a mixture of
LINUX PC's, 2500s, and 3620s.  No, it won't have 100K-plus routes,
but that many routes is unrealistic for learning. An adequate number
of complex routes is the goal there.