At 2:59 AM -0400 6/13/02, Kenny Smith wrote:
>Hi ,
>
>I have a WAN connection my branch in Sydney to the head office in London. I
>need to access the web page that located in London web server.  Normally, I
>feel the access is very slow when the link is congested. It is a 256K link.

Is this formally a dedicated line (fractional E1/T1), or is it frame
relay?  If it's a true leased line, you should have the bandwidth.

>But now when I feel the access is very slow too but the link is not
>congested with only 25% utilization.  But, I found the round trip time to
>London increase from 200ms to 440ms.  How does it affect the performance????
>   And I checked with the provider, they said the main undersea link is
>having problem, we are on alternate path now.

This is possible.  Most of the newer undersea cable installations go
in as 4-site SONET rings.  Hypothetically, you might be on a ring
Sydney-Singapore-Los Angeles-San Francisco.  If the Sydney-LA link is
the one you normally use, you may be going Singapore-San Francisco,
with longer delay.  Better longer delay than infinite delay!

>I suspect is that because the
>undersea cable utilization is very congested, so the provider only allocated
>small bandwidth to us. Is that possible?  How to determine??  Will provider
>cheat us on leased line bandwidth or the RTD affect a low on performance?

Start by asking them, including a request to see the data circuit layout.