It's been 4 months since I had to do the procedure of installing the
3DES license, but if my memory serves me correctly, all you have to do
is boot to ROMMON mode on the PIX, and then tftp the same version PIX
binary overwriting the current flash image, and when prompted if you
want to install any new keys, you just say yes, and implement your 3DES
key.

Also, just so you know, you CAN install 6.2 if you want to and have
legal access to the binary update... the following is from my PIX 501:

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.2(1)
Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 2.0(1)

Compiled on Wed 17-Apr-02 21:18 by morlee

PIXFW up 8 days 8 hours

Hardware:   PIX-501, 16 MB RAM, CPU Am5x86 133 MHz
Flash E28F640J3 @ 0x3000000, 8MB
BIOS Flash E28F640J3 @ 0xfffd8000, 128KB

0: ethernet0: address is 0008.a3db.88b5, irq 9
1: ethernet1: address is 0008.a3db.88b7, irq 10
Licensed Features:
Failover:           Disabled
VPN-DES:            Enabled
VPN-3DES:           Enabled
Maximum Interfaces: 2
Cut-through Proxy:  Enabled
Guards:             Enabled
URL-filtering:      Enabled
Inside Hosts:       10
Throughput:         Limited
IKE peers:          5

** Note that I have only 16MB of RAM also.

My PIX came with 6.1(2) also, and I have since upgraded to 6.2 with the
2.0 PDM.  Works great so far.

Good luck.

Mark