Here are some commands you can run, and their significance in determining
whether your OSPF Area 0 routers are working too hard or not:

#show ip ospf:
   Look for:
       "SPF algorithm executed xxx times" - I don't know what constitutes a
high number, but if it's in the hundreds or thousands after a relatively
short period of time, that means that instabilities in your network are
causing the routers to frequently run the Dijkstra (SPF) algorithm, which is
a very processor intensive process.

#show processes cpu:
   Look for:
        "OSPF Hello" - Again, I'm not sure what "high" is, but one of our
routers that has 1 Broadcast interface, and 13 Point-to-point interfaces
holds steady at 0.06% processor utilization.  Anyone care to chime in on
what a high number for this process would be?
        "OSPF Router" - This is the one that will spike during SPF
calculation, so watch the 5 minute utilization here, if you see it
consistently high, that probably means it's time to move to multi-area OSPF

#show processes memory | include OSPF: (the "| include OSPF" just helps
minimize the junk)
    Look for:
OSPF Hello & OSPF Router - Not real sure about OSPF Hello, but I believe the
memory counter for OSPF router indicates the size of your databases.  If you
find these growing large enough to start running the router out of memory,
it's time to move to multi-area OSPF (again, I don't know what size of
network it would take to do this, sorry.  Any takers on that one?)

The number of SPF calculations and CPU utilization are the two big ones to
watch our for (and are directly linked to one another)  If you see lots of
re-calc's and they are holding your processor hostage, then you should start
thinking about redesign.

HTH,
  Kelly Cobean