good questions.

in theory, you may request any dlci you wish, so long as it is in the legal
range for the carrier. this would be numbers 16 through 996? for some, or
through 1004? for others

in fact, if you have a good rapport with your carrier, and they in turn have
their act together, this is common practice.

OTOH, in my experience, telcos just want to get the work done, and they will
configure the dlci starting with 16 because it's easy to remember. the
switch techs just bang out their configs with no conscious thought
intervention.

if you have nothing fancy going on ( and it appears you don't ) the only
required configuration on your router is setting the frame relay
encapsulation, and setting the ip address. at that point the circuit will
come up. you can check this using the show frame pvc, show frame lmi and
show ip interface brief commands. lmi will detect and use the single pvc
with no other tweaks required. if you have multiple pvcs on a circuit, you
would, of course have to use frame map commands, or use point-to-point
subinterfaces in conjunction with the frame interface-dlci command.

best wishes.