I don't see a registry setting for this router, but if I were to guess, I
would say that this particular router has some console port settings that
don't match the other routers, and therefore your HyperTerminal settings.

IIRC, you need to experiment and find the right baud setting. you should be
able to do this easily enough.

once you have the correct settings, then you can get in, peek at the
register ( sh ver - 0x2zzz ) and go through the steps to change to 0x2102

HTH

""Kevin Hafner""  wrote in message
> I have never seen this before, any help is greatly appreciated. Received a
> group of 7 routers today and was going through and wiping the NVRAM. I was
> able to directly connect to all routers and perform the required tasks
> except for one lone 2501. When connecting to the console line the router
> would not accept any of the actual keystrokes. It is almost like I am
> getting a random mapping to the keys on my computer. After rebooting I
typed
> the following keys n,,d,f,,,d,s,c, here is the
> results, weird mappings that don't remain the same. I am using
HyperTerminal
> Personal Edition with the default settings(9600 baud, 8 databits, no
parity,
> 1 stop bits, no flow control) to connect.
>
> System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(5), RELEASE SOFTWARE
> Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems
> 2500 processor with 16384 Kbytes of main memory
>
> F3: 6799388+89240+456028 at 0x3000060
>
>               Restricted Rights Legend
>
> Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
> subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
> (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
> Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
> (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
> Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.
>
>            cisco Systems, Inc.
>            170 West Tasman Drive
>            San Jose, California 95134-1706
>

> Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
> IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-D-L), Version 12.0(9), RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)
> Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
> Compiled Mon 24-Jan-00 22:06 by bettyl
> Image text-base: 0x030387D0, data-base: 0x00001000
>
> cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision D) with 16384K/2048K bytes of
memory.
> Processor board ID 02095949, with hardware revision 00000000
> Bridging software.
> X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
> 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
> 2 Serial network interface(s)
> 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
> 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)
>

>          --- System Configuration Dialog ---
>
> Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:
723&;{sc