What about configuring "dialer watch".
Here you preconfigure a route that needs to be monitored. when the route
disappears, the backup route takes over

-----Original Message-----
From: Lupi, Guy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 28 June 2002 16:00
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Automatic Backup Question [7:47652]

I was wondering if anyone knows of a device that can do this.  I have a
situation where I need to provide automatic failover in the event that
connectivity to the Internet is lost from an Ethernet port.  The Ethernet
port will not go down, it will be up, just IP connectivity will be lost.
For various reasons I cannot run a routing protocol over the Ethernet port
at all.  Does anyone know if there is a unit that can ping a configurable IP
address and dial an ISDN line in the event that the ping times out a certain
number of times?  It must have 2 routed Ethernet ports, one to connect to
the provider and one to connect to the users LAN, and an ISDN BRI U
interface.  I appreciate any suggestions.

Guy H. Lupi
CCIE No. 9275