Yep, enable password is a less securely encrypted form. If you use Enable
Secret then that password is the one you use.
The password for logging into the router is set in a couple of places:
If you telnet into the router, it's set under the "Line vty port 0 x"
Console access is under the "Line Console 0"
Aux port access is under "Aux 0"

If I remember correctly you can tell the password encryption level by
looking at the config.
If you see
Password 0 Cisco, then it is unencrypted
Password 7 xyzabs... Then it is MD7 encrypted.
Enable secret 5 abcdefg... Then it is MD5( although I have also heard that
it is Cisco proprietary ,anyone verify this ? )

Many standard programs and easily available programs can decrypt level 7
passwords.

If you don't turn on the Service Password Encryption, then it doesn't even
bother encrypting them

I will let you judge if your being lied to...

Thanks

Larry