Let me start with what is documented and then ask if anyone is doing it
differently.
First off the 7010 is a five slot chassis. It originally shipped with a
route processor (RP), and a switch processor (SP). Later versions had a
silicon switch processor (SSP).
The 7000 is from the same family as the 7010. It has seven slots. Again it
used the RP and SP/SSP pair.
As previously posted, the IOS updates for the RP ended at 11.2.
When Cisco introduced the 7500 series it created an upgrade for the existing
7000/7010 boxes. That was the RSP7000 / RSP7000CI set of cards. Note that
the routing function and the switching function moved to one card. See:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7000/routeswi/25617r
sp.htm
Some are available. Often the RSP7000CI board, which contains all of the
environmental monitoring functions is missing. I doubt that is an issue for
lab use.
The RSP7000 runs current IOS.

The 7500 series replaced the 7010 with the 7505. The 7000 became the 7507.
IIRC The 7505 shipped with an RSP1 card, the 7507 had an RSP2.
Patrick's post sent me to CCO. The 7505 does support the RSP1, RSP2, RSP4,
and RSP8. See the following:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7505/rte_swit/index.
htm

The 7000s had the CX buss, the 7500s the CY buss. Interface cards designed
for the CX buss will work in the 7500s (with some exceptions. Usually
resolved with a later version of the card.)

I have not looked at the connectors on the rear of an RSP7000 vs an RSP2 or
RSP4. My guess is that they are different because of the different busses.
Anyone know? Anyone use an RSP2 in a 7000? If so, my prayers are answered.
If not, anyone have a RSP7000 set at a reasonable price?