need to make a correction

 wrote in message
> Morgan
>
> Routers enter into their routing table routes to 'directly connected'
> networks. In this case I will assume that, 192.168.3.0 is a directly
> Connected Network for both RTA and RTB. This would be designated by C in
the
> routing Table.
>
> Even though you may be running IGRP on both routers, you are running them
> with different processes or AS numbers. IGRP processes with different AS's
> do not share information unless specifically configured to do so with the
> redistribute command.
>
> If however RTA was running EIGRP with Process 100 and RTB was running IGRP
> with Process 100, then the routers would share information. This is the
only
> time you don't have to do 'work' to make two different routing protocols
> talk to each other. This of course only occurs when the Process numbers
are
> the same for EIGRP and IGRP.

CL: the automatic redistribution will take place only if IGRP and EIGRP
occur on the SAME router. There will be no eighbor relationship formed if on
different routers.

> If the AS numbers were different, then you once
> again have to revert to Redistribute commands to make the routers learn
each
> others' routes.
>
> Looking at your example, the only 'common' network between RTA and RTB is
> 192.168.3.0, the rest are unique hence RTA not showing .8 and .5 networks
> and RTB not showing .2 and .5 networks
>
> Hope this clears this up.
>
> Manish

RIP-1
> or IGRP distance vector routing protocols:
>
> -Routers add DIRECTLY CONNECTED subnets to their routing tables. Routers
do
> not need to run a routing protocol to learn connected routes, but conneced
> subnets routes are advertised to neighboring routers by the routing
> protocol".
>
> Ok, this I know. But, im confused about the as numbers here (100 vs 101)
> Because of this I would figure that Yes, Router-Bs routing table would
> normally show us both Routers networks (being directly connected and
> all) BUT, not when the as numbers are different.

CL: you may want to adjust your thought process here, and move to a "top
down" approach ( to borrow a phrase )

CL: routing protocols all have somewhat different methods of operation,
based on different assumptions. RIP assumes one big flat network. OSPF
assumes a structure based upon "areas", with a backbone at the center
connecting various non backbone areas. BGP, IGRP, EIGRP assume "autonomous
systems", but have provisions for connecting to other AS's.

CL: so, in terms of how things are configured: RIP is configured in a
straighforward manner, with no indication of process or area or AS.

Router rip
network x.x.x.x

that's all there is.

OSPF is configured in terms of area. However, over time it has been
recognized that for whatever reason you may want to have different OSPF
"processes" on the same router. Probably as one means of structuring very
large networks. Howard could offer more insight as to the history of this.
My understanding is that no routing protocol scales much above a couple
thousand routers, and so an organization like a large bank with 15,000
routers might break its netowrk into a number of "regions" with a couple of
core routers joining those regions together via redistribution of multiple
OSPF processes. So with OSPF, you can insitute more than one OSPF process on
the same router, and those two processes operate independently.

router ospf 100
network a.b.c.d x.x.x.x area 0

router ospf 200
network e.f.g.h x.x.x.x area 0

two different processes. routers connected via network a.b.c.d will form
adjacencies. routers connected via network e.f.g.h will form adjacencies.
but the two "domains" will never learn eachother's routes, unless you
redistribute between the two processes.

Now we come to IGRP, EIGRP, and BGP. These protocols are all structured in
such a way that the "router process number" is also the AS. With IGRP and
EIGRP you can have multiple instances, each with a different AS / process
number, and each operating independent domains, just like you can do with
OSPF. BGP permits only a single instance, a single AS, a single BPG process
on any one router, and neighbor relationships form due to different
configurations.

CL: yes there is a lot here, and it can be confusing, even to folks who have
done this for a while. The key here is to distinguish between router
processes, and autonomous systems, and then what the configuration of each
routing protocol is telling you. But if you organize your thought process in
some structured manner you will find it a LOT easier to navigate.

CL: best wishes. keep at it.