Well, part of it is Layer 10 (politics).  Although I have yet to hear/read
about a end device (Server/PC/printer) that can actually handle a full
1Gbps, part of the way this radiology system works is that images are
transferred from a centralized storage facility to a local server, then the
clients (connected to the same switch) pull the images from the server for
display, so they wanted Gigabit for the clients and server so that it
couldn't be said that the bottleneck is the network.  As far as accessing
the rest of our LAN, yeah, the bottleneck is going to be the Gig uplink from
the 4006s to the 6500s in the core that building.  Furthermore, if they are
accessing anything (applications/data) from our main data center, the WAN
(100Mbps) would be the bottleneck.  So it really just depends on what the
end client is accessing to determine where the bottleneck is.... and with
Gig the the desktop (which again, I haven't seen/heard/read about a PC
and/or server that can truly drive Gigabit to the full 1Gbps), we know the
network won't be the bottleneck for these clients pulling and viewing images
from their local server.

Mike W.