At 12:02 PM +0000 7/10/02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Gig to the desktop would be overkill.  You have to make a decision on were
>to place your bottleneck, and adjust interface speed accordingly.
>
>We have a very similar setup with Cat 6000, Cat 4000, and Cat 3000's.  We
>determined that 100MP to the desktop would suffice any current requirement.

 From the application standpoint, this is a sort-of "it depends."  Let
me throw out some off-the-top-of-my-head examples.

A digitized mammogram series is about 250 MBytes, or 2 Gbits. It
contains several views, so the physician doesn't need it all at once.
If the workstation has a fast local disk, you should be able to
retrieve the set in about 20 seconds on FE.  The image server may
very well be the bottleneck.  Once you have the set, flipping from
image to image is a workstation limitation.

But if you were going to do high-resolution imagery with motion
(movie special effects, real-time cardiac MRI, etc.), you have to
deliver frames fast enough to have smooth motion.  Now, the physician
is not apt to decide he or she is going to study the imagery with no
warning, so scheduling an upload isn't all that unreasonable.  If you
did want RIGHT NOW full motion imagery, you very well might want GB
or even faster to the workstation.  That's going to mean a pretty
powerful workstation!