Boy those hackers are clever! ;-) I never would have thought of that, but of
course it's really pretty obvious. Because of the way the PORT command
works, you can cause your FTP server to port scan a target! And that's not
all you can do.

Thanks for the link and all your other advice.

Regarding the original question, I strongly suspect that the answer may be
at one of these two links at Cisco:

PIX Performance Issues Caused by IDENT Protocol.

Poor or Intermittent FTP/HTTP Performance Through a PIX.

Priscilla