I am not a VOIP expert but this is just an idea based on my other job and
one at which I have lots of unplanned experience with.

>From my experience with running data over analog lines, I would say an
analog modem is probably the best option.

Modems are extremely sensitive to noise / etc on a analog link. They pick up
things that our humans ears cannot.
If there is noise you can hear the modem(s) renegotiating to a lower level
which means you could use the speed at which the modems connect to judge the
quality of the call. If the modem connect speed is say 28K, then you already
know there is noise on the line. If the call completes with a 48K connect
speed, then you have good voice quality.

I say this because our PABX got hit by lightning once, and although the main
boards got replaced ... I told the PABX techie, that I could hear a slight
noise in the background when I was making calls. The noise was not there
before. Of course, he listened and told me it was normal. Then the proof
came. Every modem in the company which was connected to PABX extension could
not make calls. You could hear the modem renegotiating at least three times
before an acceptable transfer rate was set, which was 21Kbps instead of the
48Kbps we were used to. So I use that as a standard to judge line quality.

Of course you use the debug commands to see at what speeds the modems are
connecting at

Just an idea.
Manish