Don't have the book so I'm not sure what they are doing, but I can think of
at least 1 time were multiple process ID's help.  When redistributing from
OSPF to a classful protocol that only will except a /24 (for example), you
would create a second process ID, redistribute from the first, summarize
these addresses into /24 and then redistribute into the classful protocol.

HTH,
Scott