> > Hi all,
> >
> > I can't for the life of me remember what the recommended
> > maximum number of clients on one segment is, I think it was
> > either 300 or 500.
> >
> IP is 500
> IPX is 300
> AppleTalk is 200
> NetBIOS is 200
> Mixed is 200
>

> Also, those numbers from Cisco are pretty dated. These days switches with
> full-duplex ports are so cheap, you can have most of your LAN "segments"
> with just two nodes on them! (The PC and the switch port)
>

> Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

Lol, now I've got all confused :-)

Do these figures relate to broadcast domain or collision domains ? I've
always assumed they were broadcast domain.

Also, would the speed of the wire make a difference ?

I'm asking 'cos I've just joined a new company. There's 700  devices using
TCP/IP and NetBIOS on a flat network. Everything is connected via 100BaseT,
mostly one device per switch port and all switches are connected via fibre.
Ping packets (indeed all types of packets) are just "disappearing" as are
mapped drives. Machines crash out, etc, etc.

My starting point was the obvious, subnetting the network. I am miles out ?
Any gentle push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :-)

Many thanks,

Graham.