[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I can't for the life of me remember what the recommended
> > > maximum number of clients on one segment is, I think it was
> > > either 300 or 500.
> > >
> > IP is 500
> > IPX is 300
> > AppleTalk is 200
> > NetBIOS is 200
> > Mixed is 200
> >

> > Also, those numbers from Cisco are pretty dated. These days
> switches with
> > full-duplex ports are so cheap, you can have most of your LAN
> "segments"
> > with just two nodes on them! (The PC and the switch port)
> >

> > Priscilla
>
> Hi Priscilla,
>
> Lol, now I've got all confused :-)

Sorry! ;-)

> Do these figures relate to broadcast domain or collision
> domains ? I've always assumed they were broadcast domain.

Broadcast domain.

> Also, would the speed of the wire make a difference ?

Theoretically it could make matters worse. Devices could send broadcasts
even faster on 100 Mbps than they can on 10 Mbps. Also devices can send
requests to servers more quickly and servers can get overloaded. That's in
theory, but may not apply to your situation.

> I'm asking 'cos I've just joined a new company. There's 700
> devices using TCP/IP and NetBIOS on a flat network. Everything
> is connected via 100BaseT, mostly one device per switch port
> and all switches are connected via fibre.

So you're talking about them all being in one broadcast domain. That's
probably better than them being all in one collision domain. But it could be
marginal. Remember the issue with broadcasts is that that they disturb the
CPU on each machine in the broadcast domain. This gets especially ugly with
older PCs with slow CPUs. You should gather some more info about the CPUs in
use.

> Ping packets (indeed
> all types of packets) are just "disappearing" as are mapped
> drives. Machines crash out, etc, etc.
>
> My starting point was the obvious, subnetting the network. I am
> miles out ?

What other symptoms are there? What kind of stats do you see with show
interface, etc.

With troubleshooting, it's best to use a bottom-up approach. Is cabling OK?
Are there CRC errors? Have you checked data link layer issues such a duplex
mismatch? What is the broadcast rate?

Subnetting will probably help, but I would suggest gathering more facts
first.

Priscilla