I think they are not in the same class of switches, so a direct comparison
is tough. Here's some thoughts...

- The 2950 is newer, therefore newer ASICs. The VH-2402, aka ELS100 has been
around for about three years.
-The VH is mostly ASIC based where the firmware is only 500k in size. The
2950's firmware image is over 4M. With a larger firmware base, I have to
believe the 2950 will have the ability to change more drastically over time.
I think the VH could be very close to end of life.
- The 2950 is not very flexible when it comes to HW versions. If you want
cheap, the lower cost model has 24 10/100 ports and no uplink or stacking
capability. If you want 100M fiber, you have to buy the 2950C which has no
GIG or stacking. If you want stacking, you have to  move to the 2950G which
has a list of twice the one without the GBICs. On the VH's, you have one
common piece of HW and you purchase the uplinks, stacks etc. as you need
them.
- I think Cisco designed the 2950 internally while the VH was designed in
Taiwan, not internally at Cabletron. Check out the Tiger Switches from SMC
and you'll see very familiar HW at lower prices.

If you have specific questions, let me know. I've sold hundreds of the VH's
and a few dozen of the 2950's.

Jeffrey Reed
Classic Networking, Inc.
Cell 717-805-5536