One of my resellers told me he could get me a 2950-24 for a little over
$900. i know the vh's with maintenance run us about $1100. thanks again for
the input

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Reed
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 7/27/02 12:18 PM
Subject: RE: Cabletron vs Cisco Switches [7:49812]

If you are swaying toward Cisco for any other reason, you can probably
purchase the 2950-24's (without uplinks) as cheap as the VH2402SM and
start
working on your Cisco switching skill sets.

I don't like the VH's very much either, but they are cheap. To make them
run
reasonably well, make sure you have the 2.05.00 firmware. In the Bridge
Extension under VLAN learning, make sure you are running in IVL mode.
SVL is
evil and causes unpredictable results. Changing from SVL to IVL requires
reboot. Also make sure you enable IGMP on your VH's 2200's and 6000 to
ensure the multicast traffic isn't broadcast everywhere. This setting is
off
by default on all your Cabletron products.

Once you get all that set, they should behave pretty well. I've seen
some
weird spanning tree problems in poorly designed networks, but that may
be
getting better with the latest firmware.

If you're looking for some good, inexpensive switches, check out the HP
Procurves. I've had good results with them and they are a little less
than
the VH's.

Good Luck!!

Jeffrey Reed