The image comes with the Pix if you bought it legally from Cisco.
I'm sure they could sell all Pix's with encryption enabled and charge more
for all of them.
I'd rather have the option to pay for Pix without encryption if I don't need
it.

As I said though in version 6.2 onwards you don't need to reload the image.
Just use "activation key"

Gaz

""NetEng""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> So Cisco sells a firewall with no encryption and then forces you to buy a
> smartnet contract so you can download the lastest IOS and install the key?
> Thats sounds like Microsoft marketing.
>
> ""Brad Ellis""  wrote in message
> > Yes, re-install the same version of the OS, and enter a new activiation
> key.
> > That's all ya got to do.
> >
> > thanks,
> > -Brad Ellis
> > CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Cisco home labs:  www.optsys.net
> >
> > ""NetEng""  wrote in message
> > > I received my PIX 501 this afternoon! Hoowever I can not access it via
> > PDM.
> > > I got the 56bit DES key from Cisco, but I can't figure out how to
> activate
> > > the thing. The documentation just goes through upgrading the FW IOS
and
> at
> > > the end it will prompt you for the key. I don't want to upgrade the
IOS,