> A couple of suggestions:
>
> 1) If you run iBGP, be *sure* not to advertize the default route learned
> from one edge router, through iBGP to the other edge router, and back
> out the other upstream.  You can use a filter list to prevent that.

I agree with you about your technique but :
Why do you want to prevent 0.0.0.0 to be advertized via the iBGP ?
I think, if each edge router, advertize his eBGP-learned default route to
his iBGP peer, each edge router have 2 default routes and so will prefer the
EBGP path. And if the EBGP path is lost, iBGP path is used (and so if other
routers are on the same LAN, ICMP redirect is generated pointing to the
second edge router).
NB : I think that HSRP will desactivate ICMP redirects on the configured
interface. And so if u want to use it, u have to reenable it.

> 2) I would highly recommend running an IGP such as OSPF on all your
> routers.  Remember, that's what routers are there for; routing protocols
> don't make things more complicated or flakey, but in fact it simplifies
> things and makes your network more robust.  I notice this is a common
> misconception about using only static routes, and I have much experience
> on the matter.  Static routes break things, especially when you have
> more than one potential path, like you are suggesting.  Don't be afraid
> to let your firewall learn the correct default route from the
> redistributed EGP.

I think it's really the best (and easier) solution.