LIM Chin Chye wrote:

> How can I eliminate a source quench generate by a network
> element? This
> element is directly connected to the Cisco 7200 series router,
> but it
> replies a error, "Source Quench received." when ICMP attempt.

The network element replies with Source Quench Received? That doesn't make
sense unless you SENT it a Source Quench. You're probably seeing the result
of what it sent which was a Source Quench, not Source Quench Received.

> Appreciate for
> advices, thanks!

What is the network element??

There's probably no easy way to get it to stop sending a Source Quench other
than to stop bugging it with your ICMP messages. It's probably built into
the operating system on the "network element" to send "source quench" when
too many messages of a certain type are received. Mac OS used to do this. I
don't know what other OSs do it, but if you tell us the OS maybe there's a
registry change or something.

Per RFC 1821, routers should not send source quench, but end hosts still can
per RFC 1122. It's not anything to worry about. You should probably just
ignore it.

Priscilla