Henry D. wrote:

> Priscilla,
>
> Isn't there statement in the RFC's that Source Quench message
> should be sent
> if the host is overwhelmed with data ?

Yes. That's what it's good for. And the Host Requirements RFC (1122) says
it's still OK for hosts to send it. Routers are not supposed to send it,
however, per The Requirements for IP V4 Routers RFC, (1812). Hopefully I got
the numbers right this time. (There was a typo in my last message.)

> Is that really being
> used in the real
> world
> applications ?

It's not very common, but it is still used. Mac OS sends it in response to
too many pings, for example.

> On the other note, I have seen HP-UX machines keep on
> responding with these
> messages
> to ICMP Echo requests

So you have evidence that it is still used too.

>, solution was to apply certain patch.

It's not really a serious problem that needs a solution, but I guess it
could annoy network managers. Maybe that patch is what the original
requester needs.

Priscilla