From: Gaz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 5:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Here we go again ( Pix 515) [7:49492]

What's everybody's view on using the Pix as a DHCP server?

I used it once, only because after arriving on site to install the Pix
the
customer mentioned that his old Firewall was doing DHCP and he had no
plans
to do it on anything else.
Seemed to go fine, but would like to know if people have come across
limitations/issues.

I tend to agree with the view "Right box for the job", i.e. don't make
the
Pix do things it's not made for, but if pushed into the situation, how
does
it compare.

Cheers,

Gaz

""Kevin O'Gilvie""  wrote in message
> Hi Kelly,
>
> You are absolutely right, and I love your strategy.
> That is the way I did it 2 years ago, but the only thing now is
finding a
> vpn solution for the Macs. I used Pix for the PC's last time round but
never
> had to do this for the Mac's. Any ideas?
>

> >From: "Kelly Cobean"
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: RE: Here we go again ( Pix 515) [7:49492]
> >Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:18:38 GMT
> >
> >Man, you aren't asking much, are you? ;-)
> >
> >Ok, here's the order I'd do things in...
> >
> >First things first, get that firewall in place.  You don't list what
their
> >internet connectivity is, but if they bought a PIX, it's safe to
assume
> >that
> >they have a persistent connection, and that being true, they're
really
> >hanging it out there for someone to cut off, so to speak.  Network
security
> >is always a primary concern, and the firewall won't take alot of time
> >set
> >up.  Not setting it up could be very costly.  If they already have a
> >light(er)-weight firewall like a Linux host running IP chains or IP
tables,
> >replacing this first will save your users down-time later because you
can
> >pre-configure your internet rulebase/access in preparation for your
private
> >addressing.
> >
> >Next, I'd do the DHCP and Private Addressing.  These go hand in hand,
and
> >since your firewall is now in place, you can do the NAT/PAT
translations
as
> >needed and not have to rethink these later.
> >
> >Third, get Exchange up and running.  If it's going on a different
system
> >than Quick mail is running on, great!  Now you can get them running
in
> >parallel, and move users accounts over one at a time or in batches.
There
> >are probably tools out there to do the mailbox format conversion.
Now
that
> >your network is secure at layer3/4, you can focus on the nitty-gritty
of
> >the
> >user data. (Oh yeah, don't forget that backup!!!)
> >
> >It's a 10,000 foot view, but that's how I'd do it.  I'm not really a
MAC
> >guy, but I'd venture a guess that most or all of your MAC's run
TCP/IP
and
> >support DHCP, so from an L3/4 standpoint, they're really no different
than
> >your PC's.
> >
> >When doing multiple projects like this, I tend to work along the OSI
model.
> >If the wiring is horrible, or the NIC's are all old 10Base2 nics and
have
> >transceivers to hook them to your BaseT network, take care of the
layer 1
> >stuff first.  Next, if the network is all unmanaged hubs, and your
network
> >is one gigantic broadcast domain, start installing switches to quiet
down
> >the network.  Next, get VLANs/routing/security in place for Layer3/4.
> >Next,
> >work on the "upper layers" where all of your apps and data live and
talk.
> >Just my $0.02 worth.
> >
> >HTH,
> >Kelly Cobean, CCNP, CCSA, ACSA, MCSE, MCP+I
> >Network Engineer
> >AT&T Government Solutions, Inc.

Of