Hi all,
I have just been battling a rather odd routing(?) problem.

I have a 2621XM router, which has an ethernet segment attached.  This router
is connected to an AS5300 via a modem connected to the aux port.  The AS5300
has other connections.  Both routers have loopback interfaces configured.

Setup...

 Fa0/0--RTA--Aux--modem----AS5300--Fa0--lots of other stuff

Routing is basically via static routes, because this is actually the
failover connection - RTA also has an ISDN connection via a BRI interface
that, at the time of the problem, was (deliberately) down.

Problem is, that I can ping from the AS5300 to the loopback of RTA, or even
to the FA0/0 ip address, but I can't (usually) ping to any hosts on the
Fa0/0 subnet.  Nor can I ping from a PC on the RTA Fa0/0 subnet to the AS5300.

Weird thing?  If I clear the IP routes on RTA, the next ping (or two, on one
occasion) works.  Then they start failing again.  The pings that work have
reasonably short response times, and even if I extend the timeouts on the
failing pings to 20 seconds they don't work, so I don't think it's a timeout
problem.

I think I've seen this or read about this somewhere - it's niggling at my
brain.  But I can't work out what the heck is going on, and my brain is now
fried.  Any hints??

(If you're really interested in the ip addressing, I'll post it, but
according to the routing tables there is a path all the way there and all
the way back).

JMcL