Try turning off fast switching. Several years ago with early 12.0 code a
similar problem existed with 2600s. The first ping would succeed because it
was process switched. All subsequent pings would fail. Wait five minutes for
the cache to clear and again the first ping would work. The "quick and
dirty" fix was to disable fast switching. The real fix was to update IOS.
The problem that you are describing seems different from the above - but
maybe it's a starting point. Try using "sh int stat" and "sh int switching"
and other show commands to watch for traffic.