""Greene, Patrick""  wrote in message
> Do any of the Catalyst switches support the ability to change a port from
> straigth through to a cross-over port via command line?
>
> Somebody told me some of the switches do but I have never seen it before.

Some switches when set to autonegotiation (default setting), will also
negotiate
MDI or MDIX settings.  Most switches, however, are MDIX only.  I don't
know of any switches that do this (Catalysts don't), but I have also heard
about
it (not as a software configurable knob, only that it will hardware
autonegotiate it).

According to CCO, the PIX 501, the CVPN3002-8E-K9, and the ONT 1031
all support auto-negotiating MDI/MDIX.  Apparently, the Catalyst 3200 had a
knob for changing MDI/MDIX and something mentioning that the IOS command
"media-type" could change it.  Also the Fast/Micro Hub's also have
dip-switches
that can change the MDI/MDIX settings on e.g. port 5.  So does the 2516.

These Cisco GBIC's support Auto-sense MDI-X: WS-G5483=  (1000BASE-T)

You can buy Ethernet transceivers that negotiate MDI/MDIX.  I've also seen
little
RJ-45 connectors that have a Male/Female side (much like a null modem) that
will
change MDIX to MDI.

You can also buy some special cables called "crossover cables"... Hehehe
that's
a joke. ;>

-dre