Please quote messages. Most people won't have the time or patience to go
back and see that this is a question about a 25xx (can't remember exactly)
serial interface that is up/up despite RTS being down. The encapsulation is
Frame Relay, if I recall.

He Shuchen wrote:

> I connected it to another 2501's serial 0.

How is it connected? Cross-over cable, two V.35 cables connected together,
modem eliminator, real network? Are there any CSU/DSUs in the picture,
internal or external? Which side is DTE and which side is DCE?

> It did work.

For how long? Is it still OK? This result could indicate a hardward problem
with the serial interface.

> I can
> successful ping each other and my router's OSPF process had
> become adjcency with each other. I feel puzzle. Does it mean
> that we can ignore RTS signal?

RTS should be asserted by the DTE side along with DTR. But it's possible RTS
doesn't really matter if the other ones are up. Have you tried a different
cable? Have you tried a different serial interface? Do you still get the
same results?

What version of IOS is it?

The only real discussion I could find on CCO about RTS being down had to do
with low-speed, half-duplex serial lines. It seems to matter then.
Otherwise, maybe it doesn't??

The article I found is here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/inter_c/icdserin.htm

Priscilla