Priscilla and Cisco_Maniac,

        Well, I have been tinkering around with it a bit more (which is
pretty much how I got here) and here are my findings. First, I went
ahead and did a 'debug span events' on the 2948G-L3 and noticed no
convergence issues... actually no events at all. A quick 'show span'
returned the following:

Bridge group 1 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f807
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 1, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 4 (FastEthernet1) of Bridge group 1 is forwarding
   Port path cost 19, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f807
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f807
   Designated port is 4, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40808, received 0

... Removed additional ports (2 - 46)

Port 50 (FastEthernet47) of Bridge group 1 is forwarding
   Port path cost 19, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f807
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f807
   Designated port is 50, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40865, received 0

Port 54 (FastEthernet48.1 ISL) of Bridge group 1 is forwarding
   Port path cost 19, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f807
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f807
   Designated port is 54, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40867, received 0

Port 56 (GigabitEthernet49.1 ISL) of Bridge group 1 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f807
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f807
   Designated port is 56, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40874, received 5

 Bridge group 2 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f836
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 0, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 55 (FastEthernet48.2 ISL) of Bridge group 2 is forwarding
   Port path cost 19, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f836
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f836
   Designated port is 55, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40867, received 0

Port 57 (GigabitEthernet49.2 ISL) of Bridge group 2 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f836
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f836
   Designated port is 57, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40876, received 6

 Bridge group 10 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f907
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 1, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 58 (GigabitEthernet49.10 ISL) of Bridge group 10 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f907
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0001.c779.f907
   Designated port is 58, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40874, received 4

 Bridge group 20 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2af8
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 0, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 59 (GigabitEthernet49.20 ISL) of Bridge group 20 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2af8
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2af8
   Designated port is 59, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40874, received 3

 Bridge group 30 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b00
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 0, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 60 (GigabitEthernet49.30 ISL) of Bridge group 30 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b00
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b00
   Designated port is 60, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40874, received 4

 Bridge group 40 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b04
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 1, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 61 (GigabitEthernet49.40 ISL) of Bridge group 40 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b04
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b04
   Designated port is 61, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40875, received 4

 Bridge group 50 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b0c
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 1, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 62 (GigabitEthernet49.50 ISL) of Bridge group 50 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b0c
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b0c
   Designated port is 62, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40875, received 4

 Bridge group 60 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b10
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 1, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 63 (GigabitEthernet49.60 ISL) of Bridge group 60 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b10
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b10
   Designated port is 63, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40875, received 3

 Bridge group 70 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b18
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 0, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 64 (GigabitEthernet49.70 ISL) of Bridge group 70 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b18
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b18
   Designated port is 64, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40875, received 4

 Bridge group 80 is executing the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
  Bridge Identifier has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b1c
  Configured hello time 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  We are the root of the spanning tree
  Topology change flag not set, detected flag not set
  Times:  hold 1, topology change 35, notification 2
          hello 2, max age 20, forward delay 15
  Timers: hello 0, topology change 0, notification 0
  bridge aging time 300

Port 65 (GigabitEthernet49.80 ISL) of Bridge group 80 is forwarding
   Port path cost 4, Port priority 128
   Designated root has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b1c
   Designated bridge has priority 32768, address 0000.0c97.2b1c
   Designated port is 65, path cost 0
   Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
   BPDU: sent 40876, received 4
        The only interface on the 2948G-L3 that should be receiving any
STP updates would be G49 and its subinterfaces, as that is the ISL trunk
to the 3548XL stack. I see a few scattered updates probably from routing
STP maintenance or from power outages over the weekend (the UPSs tapped
out at different intervals, always nice) but nothing unusual. Certainly
not enough to mirror the connection loss interval of the workstations.

        Anyhow, so I started thinking along the lines as Cisco_Maniac
about enabling portfast and just seeing what happens, but the 2948G-L3
uses a Router's IOS and so it doesn't support portfast as far as I can
tell. Anyone familiar, off hand, with how to do portfast on the
2948G-L3? CCO was unhelpful (or more likely my searching abilities).

        On the performance issue, I'll be running bandwidth tests
between stations on separate VLANs today to see exactlly what throughput
I am able to get while being routed by the 2948G-L3 today. If it is
actually performing worse than the 3620 when it was bottle necking I may
just move the network back to the old configurations. We'll see what
happens and I'll post the results.

As always, thanks for your help,

Don Pezet
Enterprise Technology Solutions