Brian Zeitz wrote:

> He may need to encapsulate the IPX into TCP/IP. Cisco only
> supports IP
> on the VPN3000 concentrator. Maybe a good test question for us
> taking
> the CSS1 exams. The VPN 5000 will support IPX.

It might be a good design question to see if the test-taker can analyze user
requirements.

He didn't say anything about having a VPN concentrator. In fact, he's not
trying to do a VPN, I don't think. He's just trying to get ordinary
client/server traffic to work through the PIX 525. Also, he's using IP, not
IPX.

On the other hand, I have to somewhat agree with some of your other message
about NetWare being overly complex and requiring too much tinkering to get
it working.

I tried to find an answer to the actual question on the Novell Web site and
the servers were excruciatingly slow to start with and there was nothing
useful on the particular question (of getting NetWare client to talk to
NetWare 5.1 server with IP as the preferred method across a PIX firewall).

The original poster said that the client talks to a Directory Agent (DA)
first. This implies that Service Location Protocol (SLP) is in use, but that
multicasts are not required for finding services. A DA minimizes the
requirement for multicasts. SLP user and service agents can find the DA via
multicast, (if they don't hear from it first), but once they do find the DA,
they can send unicasts directly to the DA. It sounds like the client is
finding the DA fine and the DA is giving the client a server to use, but
then the failure occurs.

Is there a way for him to avoid SLP and specify the actual server? Can't he
just do this with an IP address (or name assuming DNS is working?)

I noticed that Chuck Church is back. (Yeah!) Maybe he can help? :-)

Thanks

Priscilla