Jeff Doyle is allowed to ask questions too. ;-)

Serisouly, what was the gist of the responses? Are NANOG types concerned
about routing protocol security vulnerabilities? I know that that there's a
lot of academic work going on in this area. If you search on "routing
protocol security" in Google, for example, you'll come accross lots of
references to academic work, IEEE papers, a DAPRA-sponsored Internet
Infrastructure Protection project, etc.

There's also an IETF Working Group for this topic, the Routing Protocol
Security Requiremetns group or soemthing of that sort (rpsec for short). But
I couldn't find any Internet drafts from them!? (just e-mail threads that
didn't sound any more sophisticated than the wrangles we get into here! ;-)

On a philosophical note, we have to realize that the bad guys aren't going
to do the expected things, and if they do, we will have already designed
protection for them. I heard Paul Kocher (one of the creators of SSL I think
and a security luminary) say at a recent conference, somewhat sarcastically,
that the real adversaries lack the propriety to limit themselves to tidy
attacks such as brute force, factoring, and differential cryptanalysis....
(the things we tend to protect against with huge keys, etc.)

Priscilla