The designated router was added for backward compatibility with IGMPv1.
IGMPv1 had does not have a querier process and relies on whatever routing
protocol you are using to elect the designated router to control IGMP
queries.  IGMPv2 added the capability to query for neighbors seperate from
the multicast routing protocol and hence the designated router is a
non-issue.  I believe Doyle Vol.II has a real good explanation of this.

HTH,
Scott
CCIE #9340

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> Oh, I'm sorry I gave you the basic answer when you're looking for an
> advanced answer! Can someone help us out here? This is beyond me.
Thank-you!