The AS number in EIGRP is really more of a routing participation group
identifier.  All routers with the same ID will participate in EIGRP.  It
has no real relation to the Autonomous System used in BGP and for good
reason.  BGP is an exterior routing protocol.  As such, you have a group
of ASes that must interact in the Internet and they must have unique
identifiers.

Such is not the case with EIGRP.  Your instance of EIGRP within your
network will probably never interact directly with the instance of EIGRP
running in a different network. Even if you wanted to do this, both
networks could add an additional instance of EIGRP using a different ID.

I hope that makes sense.  As usual, it's early and I think my explainer
is broken.

John

>>> "Thomas"  8/16/02 8:54:26 AM >>>
Hi All,

For EIGRP routing protocol, it requires the Autonomous System number.
Like
BGP, I am not sure if they have private and public range of AS that can
be
applied to EIGRP?  If so, what's the range for private AS for EIGRP?
Who
assigns the public AS range?  Thanks All!

Thomas