""Thomas""  wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> For EIGRP routing protocol, it requires the Autonomous System number.
Like
> BGP, I am not sure if they have private and public range of AS that can be
> applied to EIGRP?  If so, what's the range for private AS for EIGRP?  Who
> assigns the public AS range?  Thanks All!

CL: interesting question, and one that should be answered from time to time.

CL: the public autonomous system numbers are issued by IANA or other public
registires in other areas ( RIPE for Europe, APNIC(?) for Asia ) One must
apply for them and pay a registration fee. The public AS numbers are meant
for BGP, but I am familiar with at least one major corporation who uses
their public AS as the identifier for their OSPF internal network as well.

CL: for routing protocols like EIGRP, an "AS" number is required, and for
neighbor relationships to form, routers must use the same "AS" number. This
can be, but does not have to be a public registered AS number.

CL: OSPF configuration requires a "process i.d." which some call an "AS"
number. These do not have to match on any two routers, and are strictly for
CPU operation.

CL: HTH