Robert-

>From my understanding, the folks at Linksys take it for granted that you
will want to perform a "Split-Tunnel" operation, so that you can surf
the net off of your ISP's Gateway, and only send data that is intended
to be encrypted (data destined for the remote 'private' LAN) over the
tunnel.

I have not verified this myself, but I do know that they also allow
"Pass-Thru" for IPSec and PPTP... so on some models, you really can't
terminate a VPN tunnel ON the Linksys DSL Router, but others you can.

An easy way to find out if you're going out your remote network's
gateway for the net is to perform a Traceroute to an Internet Host....
say 198.6.1.2 (a UUNet DNS Cache Server).  IF you're going out the
remote end of the tunnel to access the 'Net, then you'll see your LAN
IP, the Remote LAN IP for the second hop, and then the ISP side of the
Public IP subnet the remote tunnel device is connected to.  If you're
going directly to the net, you're second hop should be your ISP's end of
the DSL connection.
YMMV.

HTH,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert D. Cluett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 11:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Off Topic: VPN Router to Router Understanding? [7:52040]

All,

My apologies for having to post this here, but I have not been able to
get
an answer from anyone.

The scenario is this, I have 2 linksys routers connected to each other
over
a VPN tunnel (dsl).  My question is, if I was to access the internet
would
it need to travel on the tunnel to the other linksys and out to the
internet, or would it simply travel my dsl connection to my ISP'd
gateway
router and out?  I am trying to understand what type of load I will be
putting on my dsl connection.

Any thoughts would help..thanks

Cluett