I was just browsing the CCIE Lab list to see what was up.

Couple of things -

1) the archive needs to be updated. The most recent post was early July

2) it was interesting to see the early comments on the 3550 switch.

Having done a bit of reading and a bit of practicing, and having been
through the Lab twice, I thought I would offer a couple of comments. I
reiterate that neither I nor anyone else has seen any real CCIE Lab
scenarios. The study places and rent a rack folk may have practice labs, but
at this point it is anyone's guess as to what will be tested. One should
never bet anything of value on what may or may not be tested in the CCIE
Lab. Those folks have a way of bushwhacking those who think they can "psych
it out"

1) it will be really easy to get hung up in the mystique of L3 switching. My
opinion is this would be a mistake

2) The first time through the lab ( 2 day lab ), layer 2 stuff was worth X
points. The second time through ( one day lab ) the layer 2 stuff was worth
Y points.  Yes Y was greater than X. I believe it would be a mistake to
discount layer 2

3) the one day lab, having had to come up with 26 points that were no longer
there for terminal server and troubleshooting, did indeed find some
interesting and challenging ways to allocate those points. I would expect to
see some of that allocation moved from routers to switches, given the
capability of the 3550.

4)  having just completed a lab exercise for a place that sells study
materials, I discovered some ways of doing things that had a kind of CCIE
Lab "feel" to them.

5) while the 3550 is not explicitly capable of DLSw, I found in my study
that there are other things that could be done in the CCIE Lab to screw your
DLSw peering. One had better be aware of them.

6) I've become fascinated by things like 802.1q vlan tunneling, layer 2
protocol tunneling, vlan maps, all of which could make for an interesting
CCIE Lab challenge. Again, not betting anything of value, but I can see
where someone might want to review their understanding of how things work,
how they might be able to be done in a route connected to switch situation.

7) I don't know if the CCIE Lab writers would be this sneaky, but an IP
phone doesn't HAVE to have inline power to work. Actually, to test certain
IP telephony related things, there doesn't even have to be a phone plugged
into the switch. I don't suppose it would be too difficult to construct a
scenario such that an IP phone in the Lab would be expected to contact an
existing Call Manager somewhere in the Cisco campus. The question is, would
they?

8) just because a command appears in the "help" menu, that doesn't mean you
can use it. a good example is that of layer 2 access-lists. You can
configure access-lists in the range noted below. Try to apply them!

InTheZone(config)#access-list ?
              IP standard access list
           IP extended access list
         Extended 48-bit MAC address access list
         IP standard access list (expanded range)
           Protocol type-code access list
         IP extended access list (expanded range)
           48-bit MAC address access list

9) this is true throughout the interface.

10) personally, I'm juiced about the 3550 in the Lab! For the first time in
my CCIE prep, I believe I'm studying something relevant, and not a lot of
dead end technologies and outmoded equipment.

Chuck