A look at the calendar shows me that I am 90 days away. A long time in some
ways. Not much in others. With two Lab attempts behind me, I know all too
well that ninety days is not much time.

On the other hand, I'm a lot more juiced than before. With the announced
removal of some of the trivia, I'm finding my studies a bit easier in that I
can talk to customers about what I am learning. QoS is relevant. The 3550
switches are relevant. I'm studying things I sell, things that will help my
customers. No ATM LANE, no IGRP, no token ring, no IPX. These are things
customers are throwing out the window. DLSW? Well there has to be SOMETHING
in the Lab just to mess with you :->

The router IOS's have all been changed to something that supports the
technologies I believe are being emphasized. I heard a rumor today that
voice is worth a lot more points than it was last time through. Good.
Counting on my fingers, I'm estimating that 60% of the next Lab I see will
be this good clean difficult but relevant stuff.

So I'm jazzed. I'm enjoying my reading. I'm digging in with yellow pen and a
notebook for writing down things to test. I'm going to be saving the big
labs - the NLI, the IP Expert - for special occasions. Maybe once a month
for now. During the last two weeks I'll be doing nothing but labs. Right now
I just want to test things, test ideas, get used to the commands, read the
documentation ( something I didn't do enough of last time around )

The most difficult thing I am finding is keeping an even keel. It is far too
easy for me to ride the peaks, then burn out, and have to fight my way back
to concentrating on the task at hand. Keeping it even. That's the key. Go
out each and every day, one day at a time, one task at a time, practicing
the habits that make one successful.

Over the years I have collected the good advice of people who have achieved
their CCIE. Some of it is there on my web site. Some of it is on one of the
computers around here, waiting for me to find the time to edit it and
publish.  One thing I do recall inferring from, but not seeing explicitly
stated, in all that advice is keeping an even keel. Keeping up the routine.
Going out there day after day, reading, thinking, practicing.

Success is achieved one day at a time, one project at a time, one skill at a
time.

The Groupstudy Homilies will become a once a week format, probably on Sunday
evening, after I've had a weekend of work, and can report more technical
findings, more interesting conclusions. Time is catching up to me. So things
will change.

Still waters. Falling leaves. Clear sunsets.

Goodnight, Everyone.

--

www.chuckslongroad.info
Want to start preparing for the CCIE Lab?