Joseph Malin wrote:

> FYI:  Cisco mentions both options in:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/ip_tele/avvidqos/qosphone.htm

That's a good discussion. Also see the book (available in PDF) that the
chapter is taken from:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/ip_tele/avvidqos

Another source in this discusssion is official CIPT coursebook by David
Lovell: Cisco IP Telephony, ciscopress.com. On p. 383 he cuts the pie in
three:

* New subnet in different IP address space.
* Old subnet that the existing data endsystems are using.
* New subnet in the existing IP address space.

According to Lovell (p. 383): "Because of the IP address space concerns,
as well as the requirement of separation between the voice and data
networks for administrative and QoS reasons, Cisco recommends you create
a new subnet [first option, I think] for the Cisco IP phones."

He also discusses "automatic subnet placement". I'd appreciate if someone
would explain that.

-- TT