Well I had an early Cat6k with Sup1 and a software bug which caused the L2
CAM not to populate.  Simple software upgrade resolved the problem, been too
long for me to recall which CatOS version that would have been.  I doubt
that's what you're facing, but since you asked for examples....  :-)

First I would suggest you verify the packets you are seeing have unicast MAC
destination addresses.  Some protocols do use broadcast MAC addresses with
Layer3 unicast addresses and this traffic you're observing may well be
normal.  It's best to understand what you are seeing before jumping to
conclusions.  Also double check that you aren't SPAN'ing that VLAN to your
sniffer...

That being said and there is still something to chase.  The next thing to do
is verify the cam is populated correctly for those endhosts.  The
cam--content addressable memory is the storage for the layer 2 forwarding
tables in these boxes.  Without knowing where to forward frames to the
switch is forced to flood the frame out each port that is a part of that
VLAN, which may be what your sniffer is seeing.  For CatOS based use sh cam
 to view it, issue for the other NT server as
well.   If a definite dest port isn't listed then you need to look into why.
Issue the commands a few times in short succession to see if a destination
port is ever learned.  It may be that the switch you're attached to isn't
keeping a stable cam due to interfaces flapping, STP topology changes(from
network design flaw), software bugs, some other device sending frames from
those host's MAC addresses, use your imagination.

If you need to hook the sniffer up to one of the other switches which carry
that VLAN, that may help you narrow the scope of the problem.

If you can't see what's wrong provide us the following:
-Where are the two NT hosts in question attached to in the diagram you're
giving.
-What are the specific src/dst mac, ip, and if applicable port numbers of
the traffic that you see leaking.
-What is the state of the cam's for each of these hosts' mac addresses.
It'd be nice for each switch between these hosts.  And what device do each
of these destinations port represent
-Output of sh spant stat

Good Luck,

Darrell Newcomb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Consultant, Netswitch--Turning your Needs into Results
http://www.netswitch.net
BTW, Netswitch has been Serving Indonesia since 2000

""Hitesh Pathak R""  wrote in message
> Dear Group,
>
> I am having a setup like this :-
>
> cat6k ---------- cat6k         |                     |
>    |                     |
>    |----  Cat5k----|         |----  Cat5k----|
>
> I am connecting the sniffer on one of my core switches (cat6ks) and
without
> doing port mirroring (SPAN) able to see the unicast packets flow between 2
> Windows NT servers. Does this indicate unicast port flooding ??? or is
this
> the default behavior of my Sniffer s/w. I am using Network associates
> Sniffer s/w. The port where the PC is connected is also in the same vlan
in
> which the Windows NT servers are connected. Both the Servers are connected
> on the same switch. The servers are Win2k.
>
> Has anybody faced a similar problem like this ???
>
> many thanks in advance
>
> Hitesh
>

> DISCLAIMER:
> Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to
Wipro