I saw this on CCO this past week looking for bachplane speed on the 6500's.
I found this
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/prodlit/k6kfy_wp.htm

An Excerpt from the page:

The Catalyst 6500 and the Switch Fabric Module (SFM) provide a 256-Gbps
switching system with forwarding rates over 100 million pps. The SFM uses
the connectors on the left side of the Catalyst 6500 chassis. Note that
because these connectors are not in the Catalyst 6000, this chassis cannot
use the SFM. The SFM uses a 256-Gbps crossbar switching fabric to
interconnect the line cards on the switch. Figure 5 is a logical diagram of
the SFM.

The SFM can best be thought of as a 16-port "switch," with the ports
actually connecting to the line cards. In the Catalyst 6500, each slot in
the chassis receives two crossbar ports, and each port is clocked at 8 Gbps
(the actual bandwidth is 16 Gbps because there is one 8-Gbps path for
transmitting into the crossbar and 8 Gbps for transmitting out of the
crossbar). The fabric-enabled modules connect to one of the ports on the
crossbar, providing 8-Gbps access into the switching fabric. The fabric-only
line cards attach to both ports per slot into the crossbar, allowing them 16
Gbps of connectivity.

The Catalyst 6500 SFM uses overspeed to eliminate congestion and
head-of-line blocking. Overspeed is a concept by which the internal "paths"
within the crossbar fabric are clocked at a speed faster than the input
rates into the crossbar. This allows packets to be switched out of the
source module through the fabric to the output line card at high data rates.
The SFM uses 3x overspeed, meaning that each internal trace is clocked at 24
Gbps relative to the input rate, which is clocked at 8 Gbps.

HTH,

---Michael