At 10:06 PM +0000 9/10/02, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>Mann, Chris wrote:
>>
>>  Can someone please explain what is meant by a switch fabric? Or
>>  what is
>
>It's just a fancy term for switch architecture. It's a good term, though,
>because it helps answer the incessant question about the difference between
>a bridge and a switch. The older bridges had a simple bus and could only
>forward one frame at a time across the bus. Switches have a much more
>complicated switch fabric. Think of like a plaid or checkered fabric versus
>a linear line. In technical terms, switches use architectures such as
>crossbar, crosspoint, star-wired point-to-point, and so on. These
>architectures allow many frames to be forwarded at one time. We had a good
>discussion about this in the past. You may be able to find some good info in
>the archives.

 From the standpoint of a router/switch designer, I'd be more
specific.  Any such device that aims for significant performance
separates the control and forwarding planes. The control plane
usually has a general-purpose (albeit RISC) processor that handles
routing protocols, command lines, SNMP, statistics, etc.

The forwarding plane includes the input and output interfaces plus
the fabric among them. Since there may be quite a bit of processing
on the interfaces (especially the input), and the fabric may be
intelligent enough to do multicast replication, failover, and the
like, it's worth differentiating between interface and fabric logic.

>  > means to have blades in your Catalyst switch that are fabric
>>  enabled?
>
>Sounds like some marketing drones took the generic term and used it for
>something specific. ;-)
>
>Priscilla

Agreed -- although some fabrics are modular (e.g., the 7200 has three
200 Mbps busses bridged together). Fabric enabling _might_ relate to
how much of the bandwidth to which interfaces connect.  With pretty
much off-the-shelf chipsets, you can get 2.4, 4.8, or 10 Gbps fabric
paths, and greater throughput with parallelism.