As dre said squid works great.  Has worked great for a long time and I don't
see any reason for it to stop being good.

The available tools for log analysis are broad and pretty good, better than
those of the commercial vendors I've seen.  The tools for content filtering
on squid(though I don't advocate this so I don't try to track) are moderate
and the commercial vendors seem to have done better at this.  Squid has a
much more visible process which makes it easier to support and you won't
have to deal with vendors claiming black magic inside their box.

The only headaches I've had from a deployed squid cache were from content
developers who had no knowledge of caching and who's server was on the far
side of a cache.  Arguably they shouldn't have been writing content for that
big of an audience, but a little education and guidance along with
appropriate acl's make that type of problem disappear quickly.

BTW, I'm also a fan of anycast when I put it in a few situations back in the
mid 90s.... then saw other folks had been doing it in roughly similar ways,
even went to work for one of them briefly.  It works well too, only
challenge there was finding midlevel support folks willing to wrap their
minds around something a little different and in today's market that doesn't
seem to be much of a challenge.

Good Luck,
Darrell
always looking for the next big project...
darrellhayaitacosnet