From: Kevin Wigle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 2:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Port Security on 3550 [7:53446]

well I guess we're mixing up directions...........

yes incoming from a device attached to a port on the switch.

which would still help him but wouldn't be perfect.

no, the port wouldn't shut down if a promiscuous mode nic was plugged
in.
It would receive everything.

but that PC would not be able to send anything - to do so the switch
would
learn it's MAC - which
wouldn't match and the port would shut down.

But consider this....... what info is passed between the switch and the
NIC
so that the Link light goes on?
I don't know... will the switch still learn the MAC even if "real"
traffic
is not passed?

Kevin Wigle