Hi CCIE Written Candidates,

Have you looked at the URLs on the Cisco blueprint page? These URLs are kind
of ad-hoc, and some use IOS 12.1 and some use IOS 12.2. Ad-hoc drives me
crazy since I desire structure. So I have an idea for a study procedure -
let me know what you think:

Simply go to the appropriate configuration guides (versus command reference)
on the Cisco website (documentation CD) and go through the sections that
match up with the blueprint. I figure that 12.1 is best, since that's what's
in the lab. For example, the QoS Configuration Guide at  would do nicely for
the QoS section of the test. Of course, if there's a chapter of a config.
guide in there that isn't on the blueprint, just don't read that chapter.

My logic? I figure that we'd have to read the "CD" anyway to prepare for the
lab...We'd get a leg up on it. Everyone keeps saying "the CD is your
friend". If I don't understand something, I can always consult the Cisco
Press books for another point of view on a subject. Also, a single chapter
in a config. guide contains theory at the beginning, with practical config.
commands in the middle, and verification/troubleshooting at the end, with
the "show" or "debug" commands. Now that the test has changed to a more
scenario/practical format with "show" and "debug" output, perhaps that's a
good thing?

The downside is hunting through and picking out the applicable chapters,
then finding a nice fast printer (hopefully duplex) to use at night when
nobody is around ;-)

What does everyone think about this idea? It's certainly a radical departure
from my CCNP prep, where I used the Cisco Press course books and used
Doyle/Halabi/Caslow etc. to clarify some specific things.

And what about Caslow? I thought that book was mainly for lab prep. But
maybe now that the test has changed to a more scenario/practical format,
it's good to use it for the written? And I have the first edition...

- Jennifer

PS- I actually haven't tried any of this yet. Got to get organized first so
I can do this in a methodical and structured manner.