I haven't come across anything personally either way, but it seems that this
would be unnecessary for a router, since there are no hard drives, etc.  I
know it can be an issue with servers that stay on all the time, but I think
routers, switches, etc. with no moving parts (except of course, the fans)
could be left on all the time.  I've definitely never heard of or
experienced any issues relating to this.